What We Do
The Establishment of Abia State Board of Internal Revenue Service
What we do are as follows:
- To assess all persons chargeable with tax in the State.
- To collect, recover and pay to the designated account any tax or levy due to the State under this law or any other enhancement.
- To enforce payment of due taxes.
- To collaborate with relevant Ministries and agencies to review the tax regime and promote the application of tax revenues to stimulate economic activities and
- To collaborate with relevant law enforcement agencies to carry out the examination and investigation of all cases of tax fraud or evasion, with a view to determining compliance with the provisions of this law or any other relevant enactment;
- From time to time to determine the extent of financial loss and such other losses by the state arising from tax waivers and other related matters
- To adapt legal measures to identify, trace, freeze, confiscate or seize the proceeds of tax fraud or evasion;
- To adapt legal measures which include compliance enforcement and regulatory actions, as well as introduce and maintain investigate and control techniques for the detection and prevention of non-compliance;
- To collaborate and facilitate rapid exchange of scientific and technical information with relevant national or international agencies or bodies on tax matters;
- To undertake exchange of personnel or other experts with complementary agencies for the purpose of comparative experience and capacity building;
- To establish and maintain a system for monitoring international dynamics of taxation, in order to identify suspicious transactions, the perpetrators and persons involved;
- To provide and maintain access to up-to-date and adequate data and information on all taxable persons, (individual and corporate) for the purpose of efficient, effective and correct tax administration and to prevent tax evasion or fraud;
- To maintain data base, statistics, record and report on persons, organizations, proceeds, properties, documents or other items or assets relating to tax waivers, fraud or evasion;
- To undertake research and similar measures with a view to stimulating economic development and determining the manifestation, extent, magnitude and effect of tax fraud or evasion, and make recommendations to the Board on appropriate intervention and preventive measures;
- To collect and keep under review all policies of the State relating to taxation and revenue generation, and to undertake a systematic and progressive implementation of such policies;
- To maintain a liason with the office of the Attorney-General, all Government security and law enforcement agencies, and such other financial supervisory institutions in the enforcement and eradication of tax related offences;
- From time to time to specify the form of returns, claims statements, and notices necessary for the due administration of the functions conferred on it by this Law or any other enactment;
- To carry out and sustain public awareness and enlightenment on the benefits of tax compliance within the State;
- To carry out such other legal activities as are necessary for the due discharge of its functions under this Law.